Thursday, April 24, 2014

Will you still love me, will you still need me.... when I'm old and grey?

I'm in a pensive mood after a rainy romp at the dog park. I am fortunate to have an owner that stayed with me out there in the open pasture even when it started raining. And when I spent too much time eating rain-covered grass she got wet. After all that, we went for a walk in the woods, enjoyed the wildflowers and sniffed for squirrels. All the while the trees were dripping with life-giving rain. When we got home she toweled me off and turned up the heat so I could get dry.

This is the good life. I AM LOVED!

I keep reading about how some humans adopt animals and then throw them away like an outgrown toy. If there is anyone who is reading this that doesn't think that owning an animal is for forever, and is a big responsibility, then please read some of the articles, I've been reading.

I NEED MY OWNER because I'm a domesticated animal. I can't make it out there on the streets (I tried it once) and I can't make it in the woods alone. I don't have the skills for survival.

Now, my owner is older so she has taken on the responsibility of a plan for me should she not be able to care for me. She introduced me to the Country Cousins and THEIR OWNERS SAID THEY WOULD CARE FOR ME IF SHE COULDN'T. A back up plan for your pet is so important. Here's a book that tells you all about planning for your dog, it's titled, "If I Should Die Before My Dog." It is a practical, thoughtful guide.

Here also to get you thinking is a wonderful picture and words that bring much peace and contentment to my life on this rainy day. (If you can't read it, click on the picture.) Don't you think she looks like a coonhound?

And finally here's an article from a woman that explains just what rescue organizations are all about and WHAT THEY ARE NOT ABOUT. It's titled, "What You Didn't Know About Rescue but Really Need To." It is kind of scary that people give up their dogs and think everyone who is in a rescue organization is there to take over THEIR responsibility. It just isn't so. And this article explains that, "People are under the mistaken impression that it is a rescue’s responsibility to take in their “no longer wanted” four-legged family member. This is not the case. It is not their job. They are not animal control."

I've been picked up by Animal Control, I've been a shelter dog and I NEVER want to experience that again. I am one of the lucky ones. I am in my FOREVER HOME. And, although it is not my nature, I'LL BE FOREVER GRATEFUL.

Please pass my thoughts along to people who "just don't get it," and think they can give up their pets just because they are moving, because they have a new baby or some other excuse. We are YOUR family.

Now that I got that off my chest, I think I'll go take a nap! (and, for my own good, quit reading things on the Internet!)
Love, Cinnamon

2 comments:

  1. I knows whut ya means, Cinnamon.. I's got bad environmental allergeez. Lotsa folks get rid of pups like me. I's lucky my folks get me the help I need, the dermatologist, the holistic vet, clothes my Momma sews fur me to keep me from scratchin' myself raw, baths every other day to get rid of allergens.. ya gets my drift.
    Momma saw where some people are lookin' to rehome their Westie cuz of its allergeez.. like movin' it to the desert or sumthin' would fix it. (It wouldn't, it would probably just get new allergeez to stuffs there.) Lots of people were sayin' how unselfish they wuz, how kind...But we thinks they just is tryin' to dump a high maintenance pup....
    Sometimes it's better not to read da stuff on da net...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cinnamon says "that's the way it should be. It's not your fault you have allergies... My owner sneezes in the spring and I don't get rid of her!"

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. Love, Cinnamon