Thursday, March 19, 2015

It's Clamming Season Again on the Long Beach Peninsula of Washington

Every time I go to the Long Beach Peninsula here in Washington state, I have a new and exciting experience. That's why I keep returning. You never know what type of adventure I'll find myself involved with. This week I learned all about hunting clams and oysters. After all, I'm a hunting dog, right?
Here's Dave and his clam gun.

I always love hanging out at the beach. The smells are amazing. Just think... dry seaweed, crab shells, burnt marshmallows in old campfires. It doesn't get any better than that, does it?

Well that's what I thought until I met Dave from the Shelburne Inn and his buddy. What they brought along with them smelled mighty good. They had clam guns, nets and a bucket, all of them smelled like clams. I signed up right away for clam hunting!

We started by following them to the Beach. But we didn't park. We drove right on the beach and parked in a place where there were other clam hunters. None of them had hunting dogs. I couldn't figure that out. They took out their equipment and I trotted after them closer to the water. I sniffed around for clams but didn't find any. Dave was headed for the waves with his clam gun (was he going to shoot one?)
Here's what they were after... Razor Clams!
Then I stopped. They were actually walking into the water where the waves came in. Well, I'm no surfer and I don't know how to swim so I pulled back. My owner was really into hunting so she kept encouraging me to go closer and closer. The guys found some clams. We all were so excited that we didn't see the big sneaker wave coming in. As soon as I saw it I started pulling for shore. But I got splashed and my owner got water in her boots. 
Here I am sniffing Dave's catch
That was when I went on strike! No more clam hunting for me! Luckily the guys each bagged their limit and it was time to leave. Needless to say, I was drenched in sea water. Well, most of me, anyway. 

Here I am safe on the beach after my harrowing experience in the surf.
Notice I am giving my owner the "stink eye" look!
I was finished with hunting for the day. But we didn't go home. Next chapter... Oyster hunting!

Love, Hunter Cinnamon


P.S. If you want to go Razor Clam Hunting, here's the information you will need.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. Love, Cinnamon