Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Oyster Hunting on the Long Beach Peninsula

What a morning! I decided to go oyster hunting. I heard that the Willapa Bay oysters were really good. I decided that since I am a hunting dog, the best way to get some would be hunting.

Now, where to go? I looked on the map and saw a town named OYSTERVILLE! It was clear at the end of the Peninsula on Willapa Bay. That sounded like a great place for oyster hunting. So we packed the car with water, cameras and ME, of course, and headed out.

It took awhile to get there, I thought. But maybe that was because I was excited. Soon, we saw the Oysterville sign and turned off. It is a historic town founded in 1884. In fact, it is so historic, it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.
Here it is... the place to go oyster hunting!
Before I could get some hunting in, we did a little walking tour of town. I read all the signs about Oysterville history and looked at the homes, school and church. It was like going back in time.
There are a lot of historic homes and buildings in Oysterville
I kept pulling toward the bay. I was ready for the OYSTER HUNT! Finally we went down a grassy street onto paths leading to the bay. My feet got wet in the squishy vegetation. I looked for oysters everywhere and didn't see a one. Since I am not a swimmer, I gave up and returned to a drier path.
On the hunt... Here, oyster, oyster!
I was getting upset. How could I go to Oysterville and not come home with any Oysters? We went down a long street toward some grey buildings right on the bay. I thought these people would know where to find oysters. We got to the buildings and saw a big sign, Oysterville Sea Farms. Next to the sign were mounds of oyster shells. THIS WAS THE PLACE!

I poked my head in the door and was invited in by a nice lady. I looked up on the counter and thought at least I could buy some oysters from them. After all, they were professional oyster hunters.

They showed me the fresh caught oysters in the refrigerator case but I didn't get any. I was feeling a little disheartened when the nice lady offered me A TREAT! Now things were really looking up. TREATS! If I couldn't have an oyster, at least I could get a treat from the oyster lady!

Here's those fresh oysters. This is what I was hunting but just didn't look in the right places, I guess.
We went out back on their deck overlooking the Willapa Bay. It was beautiful. I didn't see any oysters but I could smell them! The lady gave me a HUGE dog biscuit. I was so excited I made the usual fool of myself sitting up and jumping around. I LOVE TREATS!
They are REALLY nice at Oysterville Sea farms. I loved their deck. What a view!
I crunched on the dog biscuit and then we sat and admired the bay and the beautiful day. Their Willabay Specialty Foods shop was full of interesting foods that were made right there. It's a great place for humans to go shopping! They even have a special wine to go with oysters (for those who are successful in their hunt, anyway).

The drive back seemed much shorter that the drive out there. I rested most of the way.

Right now, I need to take a nap. I'm back at my room in the Adrift Hotel and I'm ready for a long rest after my big Oysterville adventure.

Love, Cinnamon, on the Long Beach Peninsula

1 comment:

Thanks for your comment. Love, Cinnamon