Monday, July 31, 2017

Dog Friendly Party at Hawkins Cellars in the Columbia Gorge


I’ve been a bit sad lately because some of my coonhound friends from Urban Coonhounds have passed over the Rainbow Bridge. So my owner decided to treat me to a Sunday drive and a wine tasting party. Dogs were invited. The invitation said “bring your family, hiking friends and furry friends.” We were invited to Hawkins Cellars on the Washington side of the river, just across from Hood River.

So I was really excited when our friend Don showed up and took me to the car. I love lounging in the back seat while he drives. The last time we went wine tasting it rained the whole time so I didn’t get out to explore much. But this day was different. It was sunny and beautiful.

We took off down Hwy 14 along the Mighty Columbia River. We drove about an hour and stopped to see some wind surfers. I thought I might sniff around but the stop was only to take pictures. Drat! Some of the windsurfers had lunches in their vans it that smelled pretty interesting.

Wind Surfing works up an appetite so the windsurfers
had snacks and lunches in their vans. But I didn't get any!
Then it was up the hill to Hawkins Cellars where I was greeted warmly and given a big bowl of water. I lapped that up!  I checked out their new tasting room and thought I might like to relax on the cool floor, but they said I couldn’t stay because they were bringing in the lunch. So I wandered outside and found some children to greet.

I checked out the new Hawkins Cellars tasting room.
It was very nice and, on this hot day, there was a cool floor.
I gave the tasting room my stamp of approval.
The party was on beautiful green grass shaded by large trees. There were fabric sails to shade us too. I settled down and rested in the grass.

Here I am at the party. After the photo op, I went and rested in the shade.
All of a sudden I smelled something… pork, cilantro and tortillas. They were speaking my language… food! I kept trying to head into the tasting room where the food was being served but didn’t get very far. Drat!

My favorite part of the day was when they brought in The Huck Truck lunch.
They are usually at Bingen and I think I might visit them on my next trip.
I did get some tidbits of shredded pork after everyone ate their lunch but I didn’t get any of those house-made tortillas that The Huck Truck brought. I guess I didn’t show them my sad-eye look enough.

The pork was excellent!
The whole time everyone was tasting (and enjoying) the selected Hawkins Wines. I thought they might pour me a taste but noooooo! I did get to walk around the grounds, check out the trees and look at the view. Mt. Hood was beautiful. 

I was tired and started yawning.
All too soon it was time to leave. I guess I was glad because I was getting hot… and sleepy too. I was ready to go home and tell Francesca all about the big party I attended on Underwood Mountain. I was certain she would be jealous!

Love, Cinnamon

When You Go

The Hawkins Cellars


10401 Cook Underwood Road
Underwood, WA 98651
503-554-9885
Tasting Room hours change seasonally.
Current Hours:
Thursday to Sunday, 12pm to 6pm

1 comment:

Thanks for your comment. Love, Cinnamon