Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Dog Friendly Vacation in Sequim Washington: Lavender fields, beaches and cabins


Hi, it’s me Cinnamon. I think its time to tell everyone about my short but really nice vacation. Most everyone knows I went to Sequim, Washington on a trip. I knew we’d be staying in a cabin but that’s about it. So let me tell you all about it!

We packed my gear, my food and my travel bed into the car so I knew something was up. On the morning we were to leave I had a surprise! Our friend Nancy showed up. Now Nancy is usually here for a party so I was confused. How could I leave home if there was going to be a party? So I balked at getting in the car even though she put her suitcase in the back. Finally it was explained to me that Nancy was going with us on the trip and THERE WAS NO PARTY. We locked up the house and left.

Burgers and Snakes in Olympia

I was starting to get a little bit grumpy at all the riding so we stopped at a rest stop so we could all stretch our legs. That was a good idea. I saw funny things like a family with a dog at a picnic table right next to a sign that said No Pets Allowed! It was a short walk and we took off again.

The next stop was my favorite. We parked in back of a colorful place called East Side Big Tom’s. I got out of the car and all I could smell was hamburgers! Yum! I trotted over to the buildings, checking out the dinosaur mural on the way. We got to the first building and saw a lady all dressed up in a steam-punky, gothic way and she had a beautiful white snake coiled around her wrist.

Big Tom Olympia
Here's the lady with the snake giving me a kiss!
At that building they only sold ice cream so we had to walk out through lines of cars to the hamburger building. A nice lady came out and took our burger order and then…. SHE GAVE ME A TREAT! At that point I perked up, stopped being grumpy and got in traveling mode. This was fun!

Here's where you buy the burgers and get DOG TREATS!
We went back to the garden with the picnic tables to eat burgers (I got a few bites) and then I got to go visit with the snake lady. She was really nice and even kissed me! My owner was scared that I’d bite the snake but I tried to just ignore it. If it had made a run for it I would have pounced on it for sure! But it just stayed quiet, flicking its forked tongue out like snakes do.

I spied Scooby Doo while at Big Tom's
Soon it was back in the car and we were headed for Sequim (and know that it is pronounced Squim to rhyme with swim).

Boat Dock Stop in Hoodsport

We drove up on the east side of the Olympic Peninsula. It was pretty as soon as we left Olympia. There were forests and beautiful water. We got out at Hoodsport to stretch our legs again and found a little park and a boat dock. We walked out on the dock for a bit (I love boat docks) and down to where people fish. It was smelly out there and I loved it, of course. But soon we were back in the car.

Hoodsport
It's pretty everywhere on the Olympic Peninsula

Home Sweet Home in Sequim

After checking in at the office at the John Wayne Rustic Waterfront Resort in Sequim, and saying hi to the nice lady there, we went over to our cabin. I was so excited when we got there. I had my own grassy yard, my own deck overlooking Sequim Bay, a living room, two bedrooms and a kitchen for my food. This was the kind of place I could call home. I immediately relaxed when my owner put my bed in the cabin… this was to be home!

Dog Friendly Sequim Washington
Home sweet home at our cabin. Here's my backyard. I think there was something in the berry bushes!
I had my 15-foot tie out leash with me. I first used it in Sunriver when we stayed there one 4th of July to escape the fireworks! I love the leash because I can really get around, sniff everything, yet be safe.
Dog Friendly Sequim Washington
My private deck at the cabin.
I looked at the water and saw boats bobbing about, sniffed all the grass and even walked over to Nancy’s cabin. I had dinner on the deck (fancy, huh?) and then was really tired. So I took my 15 foot leash and went into the cabin and laid down on my bed. My owner saw that and took my leash off as I drifted to sleep.
Dog Friendly Sequim Washington
Me, asleep in my cabin.

Treats and Adventures in Sequim

It was about 9 p.m. and my owner woke me up. They had dinner at the Dockside Grill overlooking the John Wayne Marina. It was within walking distance and they brought home gifts of salmon and steak for ME! I woke up to have a few bites and went back to sleep enjoying the peace and quiet of the resort.
At the John Wayne Marina
The next day after an elegant breakfast on the deck, my owner walked me down to the marina and showed me the restaurant. It was very nice!
Here's the restaurant where they got the steak and salmon for me!
 After the walk, my owner went in to Sequim to have breakfast with Nancy at the Oak Table Cafe and they saved a bit of bacon for ME!
Here's what they saw at the entrance to the Oak Table Cafe.
I'm glad I didn't go because I would have barked at it!
 Later that day we took a tour of Sequim and found Dungeness Landing County Park where there were eagles. That reminded me of the eagles in Haida Gwaii.
Eagles!

We went to the Jardin du Soliel Lavender Farm where they have a lavender dog named Dash.
Dash the Lavender Dog. Courtesy Jardin du Soliel, his home.
I didn’t get out to play with Dash because I’m kind of grumpy with young dogs so they put him away in the house. I got to wander around the lavender fields and smell the lavender. In the shop we found some lavender dog soap. I considered buying a bar as a gift for Francesca but conveniently left my wallet in the cabin!
I almost got Francesca a gift but then thought better of it!
We also drove by and checked out a herd of Roosevelt Elk. Now I am scared of elk because they are so big so was happy they were far away. After that, we had a marvelous walk at the beach at Marilyn Nelson County Park near the boat launch. It was a great beach with seaweed and round rocks and a view of Dungeness Bay.

Dog Friendly Sequim Washington
Sniffin' Seaweed
That was a big day for me. So after another walk from our cabin to Diamond Point and dinner I was ready for bed.

Nancy and my owner went back downtown and had a fabulous dinner at Blondie’s Plate, one of the best restaurants in Sequim. They told me it was full of Dachshund Dog art but most of all I enjoyed the leftovers from the lamb shank dish. They said it was an amazing dinner and would go back in a “Sequim second!”
Delish lamb shank at Blondie's with a bone for me!
Dog art at Blondie's

Leaving Sequim

I had one last walk around Sequim Bay and the John Wayne Marina and I didn’t want to leave. The fall leaves were beautiful and there were other people walking their dogs. There was so much more to see in dog-friendly Sequim. They have a dog park at Carrie Blake Park and a great Olympic Discovery Trail to walk and explore. But we had to leave and I had to endure the long trip home. I really miss Sequim!
How could anyone leave a place this beautiful?

When You Go to Dog Friendly Sequim

There is a dog-friendly RV park at the John Wayne Waterfront Resort. Some of the cabins, like mine, allow dogs. Dogs can go to many county and state parks but cannot go to any National Wildlife Refuges like on Dungeness Spit where the lighthouse is.

There’s lots to do in the Sequim area. In fact the beautiful Olympic Peninsula is very dog friendly and has a special web page for dogs!

For more information on Sequim Washington, see their tourism site.
Dog Friendly Sequim Washington
Sequim Civic Center

Note: As is common in the travel industry, Cinnamon was provided with accommodations and treats for the purpose of review. While it has not influenced this review, the writer believes in full disclosure of all potential conflicts of interest.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for looking out for Liz. You have to watch her carefully or she will get herself in trouble.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. Love, Cinnamon