Saturday, October 3, 2015

Francesca does the Lure Course at the Brush Prairie Dog Park

Today was a good day. It was sunny, the trees were bright gold, red and brown in their fall finery and we were getting to go back to the dog park! Our owner has been under the weather and so that meant NO FUN FOR US!

So Francesca and I were both very excited about going to the dog park today. But we had no idea how special this day was. You see, Clark DogPaw was having a membership drive and fundraiser. They are the people who make sure that we Clark County dogs have the best dog parks possible. I LOVE CLARK DOGPAW!
Something special was going on at my favorite dog park!
So we pulled up and saw lots of people and dogs. There was a tent and something really exciting was happening in the little dog section of the park. I heard a giant Treeing Walking Coonhound baying excitedly. He was singing my song!

Of course at that point, Francesca got really wound up. We headed in to the park. Francesca immediately went to see what the excitement in the little dog section was all about and I headed toward the tent. Usually there are treats at tents. I've learned that!

Something in the little dog park caught my eye. It was white and it was moving. The big TWC hound was going crazy. And, wouldn't ya know.... Francesca joined him. She saw dogs chasing something white all around the little dog park. It looked like fun. Some dogs and Francesca started running up and down the fence line. She barked. She wanted in so bad! Turns out it was a lure course. And you got your turn by making a small donation to Clark DogPaw.
This is what a lure course looks like although we didn't have
our cameras with us today
Since Francesca is suspended from participating in the blog, I thought she should be suspended from fun too! But my owner is a real softie and soon she was signing Francesca up for her turn at the lure course. I looked at it but thought, "How fun is it to chase a plastic bag on a string?" Not much! But by now Francesca was running up and down the fence line barking her head off. She was going bonkers. I tried to tell her that it was only a plastic bag but she didn't listen. Her prey instinct had kicked in.

So I sniffed around, visiting the people at the tent and met some new dogs. I hung out but didn't lower myself to act like those crazy, plastic bag chasing dogs! I did get something though. No treats... but our 2015 Clark DogPaw tag was there and, since I am so well-behaved, I get to wear it clipped on my collar. I was rather proud to show that I was a member of such a well-respected (and needed) organization. I trotted around the park showing everyone!
Here's my newest tag!
So, even though Francesca was panting from running the fence line she perked up when her name was called... "Francesca... you are next at the lure course... come on in!" I had to go watch. Francesca was chomping at the bit as they say. The plastic bag (aka lure) was attached to a line that was strung in a rectangle around the park. A machine made the line move and with it, the plastic bag. It moved pretty fast. The first time around Francesca did the lure course perfectly. She just followed the bag. She did that a couple of times and then started cutting corners, thinking she'd catch it with less effort. But no, it really didn't work. She was tiring so her turn was over. It was suggested that she go get some water. But she wasn't sure she wanted to miss any of the fun as another dog had his turn.

It was a great day. Francesca went home panting and tired. And I went home sporting a shiny new red Clark DogPaw tag. I am now part of an elite group of dogs... a member of Clark DogPaw. The tag matched the red in my chile design collar.
Here I am proudly wearing my Clark Dog Paw tag.

If you think your dog might like to try a lure course, I am sad to tell you this was the last of the year. But, watch the Clark DogPaw website for dates next year. And follow their Facebook page. You can still become a member to support our dog parks. My membership expires in December. I'll be sure and "re-up!"
Here we are at home. Resting up after our exciting trip to the dog park.
Love, Cinnamon, Official Clark DogPaw Member

1 comment:

Thanks for your comment. Love, Cinnamon