Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Helping Your Dog Cope with the 4th of July



This is last year!

Pop! Boom! Crackle! What the heck is this? I HATE 4th of July. I can't stand the sounds. I want this TO STOP NOW!

Here are some tips for helping your dog cope with the 4th of July.


Prepare for the "holiday" by checking with your veterinarian if you think your dog will really freak out. I don't need medication if I have access to my crate. I feel safe there.  I've been told that sedatives like Acepromazine don't really help. Some people think Thundershirts are helpful.

Keep the normal routine. I love a routine. I am a hound!

I like my crate during a "fireworks attack." Know where your pet feels safe and provide that space for them during the 4th of July holiday. Usually the center of the home, away from windows is the best hiding place. Find a substitute cave like the crate or under a table.

Feel free to turn up the music or TV. It masks the Pop! Boom! Crackle!

Be at home with your dog. Secure exits so your dog doesn't run outside in a panic. Make sure the yard is secure and your dog cannot jump the fence. This is not the time to have your dog run away. Often they will run really far away in a panic.

Be loving and sympathetic to your dog's fears.  Talk to them, comfort them and give them extra attention. Maybe even let them sleep on the bed with you!

So I will be sequestered in rural Kitsap County over the 4th of July. I'll be with the Country Cousins and my owner is joining us. I'll have all the love I can handle.

Even so... I wish humans could find a better way to celebrate Independence Day!

Love, Cinnamon

1 comment:

  1. I guess I's kinda weird, becuz I actually like going to watch da fireworks. My momma holds me just in case, but I just watch em. It are bout da only time I shut up.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. Love, Cinnamon