Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Tracking.... What's in the Woods?

The sun came out between rainstorms and I begged to go to the dog park. And, it worked. We were headed out the door in a flash so that we could take advantage of the sunny weather. In the Pacific Northwest they say, "If you don't like the weather, wait an hour. It will change." And I didn't want it to change back to rain too soon.
Here I am tracking some scent in the Dog Park
This is an artistic look at that lone
Douglas Fir tree in the pasture.

When we head northeast, I know the day will be good. I love the huge dog park in Brush Prairie. It is a fenced farmer's field. I can run and see all the dogs as I trot around the bark dusted path. In the next field there was a lone Douglas Fir tree. When the farmers settled, they cut down the trees to make fields. But they left one!

Once I checked out the dog park I was ready to go to the forest preserve next door. I always head for the gate and wait expectantly for my owner to open it so we can go into the "Magic Woods!"

In those woods, there are the Douglas Fir trees that the farmers did not cut. But there are also amazing smells and things to see.
Here I am being hyper alert in the woods.

The trail is soft and the water is held by the green moss and ferns. There are places for burrows and dens. I spend my time being aware of what might be in those places.

When I am in the Forest Preserve, I am hyper-alert. A bear? A deer? A coyote? No one knows what could be lurking there.... not even my owner!

You never know what you will find in the woods... big or small.
I had a fantastic time in the woods but now the dark clouds are gathering for yet another bout of rain. I think I'll go take a nap!

Love, Cinnamon

1 comment:

Thanks for your comment. Love, Cinnamon