Thursday, January 23, 2014

Agate Hunting Tops Glass Float Hunting in Lincoln City

This is how you hunt for glass floats. You check out all the driftwood.
I was so excited about looking for blown glass floats that I got up at 6 a.m. this morning. That's before dawn! The moon was out lighting our way to the beach. I started looking around for blown glass orbs but had a little trouble seeing.

After all, it was still dark. So I gave up and went back to bed. Of course I enjoy my cushy round bed at the Looking Glass Inn so it wasn't hard to persuade me to go back to the room.

So after my owner showered and we had breakfast, we decided to try again. By now it was bright and sunny out. People were out in their shirt sleeves (this is January on the Oregon Coast mind you!).

We started looking under drift wood logs. We started looking in the dunes and grass. But we didn't find anything... well, quickly, anyway.

But in the distance we saw people all hunched over looking at something at the water's edge. When we got down to where the people were looking we asked them what was going on. Come to find out the tide was going out and they were finding AGATES. Now that sounded like something to hunt. So I bagged the glass float hunt and decided to be an agate hunter! It was fun. I had to dodge the waves to make sure we found the wettest stones, but I FOUND AGATES!
This is how you hunt for agates.... in wet sand.

I decided at that point that I'd be an agate hunting dog. We ended up with a cup full. I don't know what I'll do with them, but at least I WAS A SUCCESSFUL HUNTER!

Now I hear there is a whole beach devoted to agates. I don't know if that is true or not but I should check it out.  It is called Agate Beach. I want to go there sometime and hone my skills.

More Information
Agates at the Oregon Coast

1 comment:

Thanks for your comment. Love, Cinnamon